Punjab Public Service Commission (PPSC) has divided the selection process into three different stages with different pattern of examination. Each stage is unique in itself to test different skills of a candidate.
Stage one – Preliminary Exam
- This stage consists of two papers: Paper – I (General Studies) and Paper – II (Civil Services Aptitude Test). Both the papers are compulsory and the merit list is prepared on the basis of marks attained in both the papers combined.
- Paper 1 includes current events of national and international importance, history of India, Indian National Movement, Indian and World Geography, Indian Polity and Governance, Economic and Social Development, Environmental, General Science and Punjab GK.
- Paper 2 includes Comprehension, Interpersonal skills including communication skills, Logical reasoning and analytical ability, Decision – Making and problem solving, General mental ability and Basic numeracy and Punjabi language.
- This stage consists of multiple choice questions.
- Each paper is of 2 hours consisting of 100 questions in Paper – I and 80 questions in Paper – II. In paper 1, every correct answer is awarded 2 marks and in Paper – II every correct answer is awarded 2.5 marks.
- There is no negative marking in both the papers.
Stage Two – Mains Exam
- This stage consists of seven compulsory papers. All papers shall be descriptive in nature and duration of each paper shall be of 3 hours.
- Candidates will have the option to attempt all the papers, except the language papers, in English or Punjabi.
- Minimum marks required for qualifying the Mains examination is 45% marks in the aggregate of all the papers (40 % for the candidates belonging to Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes) including at least 25% marks in each paper provided that if in main competitive examination.
Stage Three – Personality Test/Viva – Voc
- Personality Test/ Viva – Voce is conducted to test the candidate’s confidence, speaking skills and on choice of words you make while talking about a societal issue. The candidate is tested on the basis of questions asked from diverse fields, varying from subjective knowledge to candidates’ hobbies etc.
- Personality test comprises 150 marks. The personality test marks will be added to the Mains marks and the final merit list will be based on marks attained out of a total of 1500 marks.
Physical Tests for Punjab Police Services
The candidates who opt for the Punjab Police Service and who qualify the Main Competitive Examination shall have to fulfil the physical standards and pass physical test events.
- For Men: 5 feet 7 inches
- For Women: 5 feet 3 inches
2.Chest Measurement (applicable for men only):
- Unexpanded: 33 inches
- Expanded: 34.5 inches
||Events for Male Candidates
||Events for Female Candidates
||1600 metres race: To be completed within 07 minutes 30 seconds (only one attempt)
||800 meters race: To be completed within 04 minutes 45 seconds (only one attempt)
||Long Jump : Minimum 3.60 meters (Three attempts only)
||Long Jump : Minimum 3.00 meters (Three attempts only)
||High Jump : Minimum 1.15 meters (Three attempts only)
||High Jump : Minimum 1.00 meter (Three attempts only)
||Vertical Rope : 2.0 Meters climb from the ground (Three attempts only)
||Shuttle : Running between two parallel lines 10 meter apart, five times in 20 seconds (one attempt only)
Number of attempts for the examination
- Maximum attempts for a candidate are 4.
- Ex-servicemen candidates are also permitted 4 attempts at the examination.