Himachal Pradesh Public Service Commission (PPSC) has divided the selection process into three different stages with different pattern of examination. Each stage is unique in itself to test different skills of a candidate.
Stage one – Preliminary Exam
- This stage consists of two papers: Paper – I (General Studies) and Paper – II (Civil Services Aptitude Test). Both the papers are compulsory.
- Paper – II (CSAT) is only a qualifying examination in which you have to score 33% marks. The merit list is prepared on the basis of marks attained in Paper – I (General Studies).
- Paper 1 includes current events of national and international importance, history of India, Indian National Movement, Indian and World Geography, Indian Polity and Governance, Economic and Social Development, Environmental, General Science and Himachal Pradesh GK.
- Paper 2 includes Comprehension, Interpersonal skills including communication skills, Logical reasoning and analytical ability, Decision – Making and problem solving, General mental ability and Basic numeracy.
This stage consists of multiple choice questions.
- Each paper is of 2 hours consisting of 100 questions in Paper – I and 100 questions in Paper – II. In paper 1, every correct answer is awarded 2 marks and in Paper – II every correct answer is awarded 2 marks.
Negative marking of 1/3rd of the total marks allotted to the question is applicable in both the papers.
Stage Two – Mains Exam
The main examination shall include compulsory subjects and one optional subject.
A candidate shall answer the Optional Paper in English or in Hindi as per his/her option.
No candidate shall be considered to have qualified the written examination unless he / she obtains atleast 40% marks in compulsory papers of Hindi and English and 45% marks in the aggregate (excluding compulsory papers of Hindi & English).
The marks obtained by the candidates in the main examination (written part as well as interview / personality test) shall determine their final ranking.
The compulsory and optional subjects and maximum marks fixed for each subject shall be as below:—
||Essay (2 Essays of 50 marks each)
||General Studies – I
||General Studies – II
||General Studies – III
||Optional Subject – Paper I
||Optional Subject – Paper II
1. Indian History
3. Political Science and
8. Civil Engineering
11. Commerce and
16. English Literature
24. Animal Husbandry
31. Medical Sciences
Stage Three – Personality Test/Viva – Voce
- Personality Test/ Viva – Voce is conducted to test the candidate’s confidence, speaking skills and on choice of words you make while talking about a societal issue. The candidate is tested on the basis of questions asked from diverse fields, varying from subjective knowledge to candidates’ hobbies etc.
- Personality test comprises 150 marks. The personality test marks will be added to the Mains marks and the final merit list will be based on marks attained out of a total of 1250 marks.
Number of attempts for the examination
- Maximum attempts for a candidate are 4.
- Ex-servicemen candidates are also permitted 4 attempts at the examination.