Indian Air Force (IAF) recently participated in Exercise Pitch Black 2018 at Darwin, Australia
Details of the 2018 exercise:
- Sixteen different nations from across the globe, including French Air Force (FAF) participated in this exercise.
- During the staging period, FAF and IAF carried out basic joint training, which included fighter sorties by pilots in their respective aircraft with observers onboard each other’s transport aircraft supporting the missions.
Details of the Exercise Pitch Black:
- Exercise Pitch Black is a biennial warfare exercise hosted by the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF).
- The exercise is normally held in Northern Australia, primarily at RAAF Bases Darwin and Tindal.
- The aim of the exercise is to practice Offensive Counter Air(OCA) and Defensive Counter Air (DCA) combat, in a simulated war environment.
- It traditionally consists of a ‘red team’ and a ‘blue team’ based at separate locations, with one attacking the other.