Historians have vociferously opposed changes to the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Sites and Remains Act, 1958, which proposes to allow the construction of Centre-approved public infrastructure within a 100 metre radius of Archaeological Survey of India (ASI)-protected monuments.
About Chabahar Port:
- Chabahar Port is a seaport in Chabahar located in south-eastern Iran, on the Gulf of Oman. It serves as Iran’s only oceanic port, and consists of two separate ports named Shahid Kalantari and Shahid Beheshti, each of which has five berths.
- The India-Iran-Afghanistan three-way memorandum of understanding (MoU) plans have committed at least $21bn to Chabahar-Hajigak corridor.
- This also includes Chabahar – Hajigaj railway.
- Chabahar Port also provides direct access to India’s Farkhor Air Base in Tajikistan.
- The port of Chabahar is located on the Makran coast of next to the Gulf of Oman and at the mouth of Strait of Hormuz.
- Being close to Afghanistan and the Central Asian countries of Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan etc., it has been termed the “Golden Gate” to these land-locked countries.
About India- Afghanistan Strategic Partnership Council:
- This is headed by the foreign ministers of both countries and tasked with managing the relationship.
- The agreement positions India and Afghanistan for the post-2014 situation when the international forces are scheduled to withdraw and hand over security responsibilities to Afghan forces.
- The agreement states clearly that the strategic partnership is not directed against “any other state or group of states”.
- India has merely agreed to assist in the “training, equipping and capacity building programmes for Afghan national security forces.”
- Going beyond the security dimension, the partnership arrangement also dwells on trade and economic cooperation, capacity development and education, social cultural & civil society and people to people relations